How often do you catch yourself saying ‘yes’ when you …
This chewy, nutty treat is an excellent source of the monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids that have the anti-inflammatory properties so necessary for healthy hearts and brain functions. Keep these easy to make snacks on hand for the perfect after school snack for a burst of energy or as a source of vitamin E and zinc, beneficial for skin and the immune system.
- 2 cups walnuts, halves and pieces
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 8 fresh dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 to 3 drops peppermint oil (optional)
- Combine the walnuts, sunflower seeds, dates and coconut in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for 30 to grind the ingredients.
- Add the cocoa powder, salt, water and the peppermint oil to the bowl and process until the mixture forms a paste.
- Form the paste into medium sized balls by rolling a portion of the paste between your palms. Place the finished balls on a tray lined with waxed paper and chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.