How often do you catch yourself saying ‘yes’ when you …
Beetroot Chocolate Mud Cake
This cake packs all the divine flavor of a traditional chocolate cake but is so much more beneficial for your health. The beetroot aids in liver detoxification processes, the psyllium is a great source of dietary fiber and the selenium from the nuts is a potent antioxidant and a nutrient vital for thyroid function. Enjoy in small slices, as these powerhouse ingredients support elimination!
- For the cake mixture: 2 cups brazil nuts
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 3 medium beetroots (beets), peeled and grated
- 4 fresh medjool dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks, ground
- For the icing: 1 cup raw cashew nuts, unsalted
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) cacao butter, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- For the cake mixture: Grind the brazil nuts in a food processor, then set them aside in a bowl.
- Combine the dates, currants and maple syrup in the bowl of the food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Blend the date mixture with the ground nuts and the grated beetroots in a large bowl.
- Add the coconut, cacao powder and psyllium husks to the bowl and stir them in until blended with the date and nut mixtures.
- Scrape the blended mixture back into the bowl of the food processor and pulse until the ingredients are well combined and finely textured.
- Line a cake tin with baking paper and spread the batter evenly over the bottom. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- For the icing: Gently melt the cacao butter in a small saucepan then allow it to cool.
- Combine the cashews, cacao powder, maple syrup, lemon juice and tamari in the bowl of a food processor or Vita-mix blender and process until the nuts are well ground.
- With the motor running, pour in the melted cacao butter and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon the icing over the cake and refrigerate until the icing is set, about 15 minutes.