This chocolate is special not only because of what it contains, but also because of what it doesn’t contain! Homemade chocolate like this contains considerably less ‘sugar’, additives and preservatives than processed chocolate bars. This chocolate only contains raw ingredients, so the nutrients have been preserved, making this chocolate vitamin, mineral and antioxidant rich. Be wary of having this chocolate late in the day if sleep is a challenge for you, as cacao contains caffeine.
Fruit and Nut Chocolate
- 100g cacao butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup cacao powder
- a pinch of salt
- ¼ cup pistachio nuts
- ¼ cup cashew nuts
- ¼ cup currants
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Melt cacao butter in a small saucepan over a low heat. Allow to cool.
- Add maple syrup to the cooled cacao butter, then stir in cacao powder and salt.
- Line a slice tin with greaseproof paper and pour the chocolate 1cm thick.
- Sprinkle the nuts, currants and coconut evenly over the top. Refrigerate to set then cut into squares.