Homemade bone broth is wonderfully nourishing. It can be consumed on its own, used to make nutrient-rich soups and stews, or in any other recipes where you would use stock. It is a lovely source of minerals as well as amino acids that can be particularly nourishing for the gut.
- 5 litres of water
- 1 whole raw chicken (or 1kg organic chicken carcasses (about 2 chickens)
- 2 onions peeled and quartered
- 3 large carrots
- 6-8 peppercorns
- ¼ cup organic apple cider vinegar
- Place all ingredients in a large pot.
- Simmer for 12 hours, skimming off foam every hour.
- Or simmer for 3 hours and let bones and meat cool completely in pot.
- Strain broth using a large sieve and serve.