How often do you catch yourself saying ‘yes’ when you …
Brilliant Brassica Soup
That old adage of an apple a day keeps the doctor away could easily be replaced by a serving of broccoli a day keeps the doctor away! The brassica family of vegetables includes cabbage, Brussel sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower. Besides adding flavour to meals these vegetables are packed with antioxidants, which may help lower the risk of cancer and coronary heart disease as well as supporting healthy estrogen metabolism.
- 2 broccoli, heads and stems roughly chopped
- 1 cauliflower, heads and stems roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped finely
- 4 cups of homemade vegetable stock
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- 1 handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 handful of mint, chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- In a large saucepan melt coconut oil and cook onion and celery on a low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add chopped broccoli and cauliflower including the stems. Bring to the boil with the vegetable broth then reduce heat and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Add sea salt, chopped herbs and stir in coconut milk.
- Blend in a food processor or blender until smooth and pour back into the saucepan for reheating if needed.